Constantly working to improve lingerie and swimwear options for ladies with a larger bust, Curvy Kate brings out a range of new delights for us to enjoy every six months or so. The range for Spring/Summer 2013 is nothing short of gorgeous and I was absolutely thrilled when the Curvy Kate team asked me to try the Portia in Seafoam/Pink.
Image courtesy of Curvy Kate
In the past, I have had fit issues with Curvy Kate bras due to the wires being too wide and the cups too shallow. I was therefore delighted when the brand advised me that they have listened to the feedback from their customers and have altered their bra construction to provide a superior fit and shape. It was with great excitement that I tried this set on.
Firstly, I was struck by how beautiful this set is in reality. The colours are just lovely and photos cannot do them justice. The embroidery on the cups gives a mermaid-like shimmer so it's really girly and pretty.
The straps are very comfortable and adjust fully. I found no slippage with the adjusters, meaning that once I had the straps to my desired length they stayed in place. The straps have limited stretch so although they are very soft on my skin they don't stretch under the weight of my boobs.
The 32 band was a great fit for me. It was firm without being too tight and felt very comfortable. The band fastens with three rows of three hooks and eyes.
The cups were an absolute revelation. They were significantly narrower than the Curvy Kates I've previously tried and also quite a bit deeper. I didn't have any empty space at the sides of the cups and the wires encased my breast tissue perfectly. Hurrah!
As you can see, the cups are almost completely sheer. There are in fact two layers of fabric on the lower half of the cup but both layers are of the same 'nearly sheer' material so they don't offer a lot of cover-up. I didn't mind this at all - I have my Ewa Michalak bras for when I want to cover up so it's nice to have something that's a little more revealing.
However, the cup fit was still not quite right for me. They were still rather too shallow and as you can see from the photos from the side I get a rather odd shape. It is as if the apex of the cup is too low for me, so my breast looks as if it points downwards somewhat. If I size up in the cup (which would mean sizing up in the band as K is the largest cup available) the problem would only be made worse.
From my 'bird's eye view' photo looking down on my boobs, you can see that the Portia pulls my breasts to the sides. My breasts are fairly close-set and are 'up front', meaning that there is little or no breast tissue at the sides as the roots of my boobs are completely on the front of my body. Therefore I need cups that have lots of depth and narrow wires so that my boobs are not forced into an unnatural position.
The matching Portia shorts were great - very comfortable (and every bit as sheer as the bra!!) and easy to wear. Personally I prefer briefs to shorts but these look great with the bra and really help to complete the set. Curvy Kate also do a matching thong for this set, but it's worth noting that it does not have a modesty panel across the front as the shorts do.
I think this new bra shape is a huge improvement on previous Curvy Kate bra designs and I am sure many women will be happy with the changes. I look forward to following the brand's developments over the coming years as they continue to support the busts of women around the world.
You can read a great review of the Curvy Kate Portia in Seafoam/Pink by the wonderful Brood here http://broodsbigbrasblog.com/2012/11/26/world-first-review-of-the-curvy-kate-portia-seafoam-pink-bra-and-shorts/.


